In the frantic moments after a gunman opened fire on a Brooklyn subway car last year, New Yorkers pitched in to help the wounded passengers and give authorities information to identify the gunman, a newly released video of the incident shows.
The grisly, disjointed cellphone footage, unsealed by a federal judge a day after the suspect, Frank James, 63, pleaded guilty to terrorism and firearms charges, shows a smoky subway car filled with panicked and confused commuters, some of whom were badly wounded.
The attack on April 12, which resulted in 10 people shot and multiple injuries, set off a 30-hour manhunt across a stunned city.
WARNING: This video contains images that some may find disturbing.
In the recording, subway sounds can still be heard in the background as the chaotic scene unfolds – blood can be seen pooling on the floor and smeared on the orange plastic train seats as wounded passengers cry out in agony.
“Can someone help me get off?” a person screaming in agony asks. “I’ll help you,” answers another.
The passengers seem uncertain of what happened on the train.
“Was it gunshots?” another voice asks the crowd.
“Oh my God, that’s a lot of blood,” says the injured man.
“Stay low, stay low,” cautions another voice. “Stay low.”
As commuters assisted fellow passengers onto the platform, others leaned over and spoke to the wounded as they laid on the ground. Some volunteered the little information that they knew about the attack.
“Orange, orange — he’s wearing orange,” a person says in the video, referring to James, who was caught on separate surveillance footage in a reflective orange vest.
James was arrested a day after the shooting after he called police from the McDonald’s on Sixth Street and First Avenue in Manhattan and told them where he was.
Though James was gone by the time police arrived, three men working in the area spotted him a block away and called police.
James recorded himself in rants about the subway and New York City crime, but prosecutors have yet to pinpoint his motive for the attack.